Walking is a form of exercise and is a compliment to anyone’s lifestyle. Aside from the physical activity that boosts healthy immune function and aids in burning calories, there are some great benefits for your mind.
Some mental benefits of walking:
- Establishing a regular routine like walking every day, sets you up to achieve goals. By routinely walking it is more likely that we will take on other healthy behaviors.
- Regular Walks help to regulate and even modulate the nervous system reducing anger and hostility.
- Walking improves digestive health which can improve mood by helping absorption of minerals and nutrients to produce happy hormones like serotonin. It also improves the body’s detoxification, eliminating chemicals that may stress you out.
- Research shows that walking helps improve creativity. When compared to sitting, walking has been found to increase creative thinking leading to higher production and sense of achievement.
- If you walk regularly, you’ll sleep better at night. That’s because exercise naturally boosts the effects of melatonin, the sleep hormone. With better sleep comes improved mood and stress.
- Better immune function equals lower stress on the body and mind.